At the end of the 1990s, the steel sculptor was offered the opportunity to acquire the site of the former Royal Bavarian Ironworks (first mentioned in a document in 1411) with an adjoining quarry of Jura limestone in Obereichstätt. The artist and his wife Camilla bought the 23,000-square-meter site and restored the entire complex with its disused halls and buildings dating from the 1830s.
Here Lechner realized his wish to present the meter-high steel sculptures in the open air. Today, sculptures weighing tons and covered in rust stand on terraced stone plateaus against the impressive backdrop of the quarry's rock face. In 2013, a large exhibition hall for sculptures was also opened on the site.
This structure is the largest privately owned hall in Germany, with floor strength designed to support 100 tons of weight per square meter. This is a necessary condition to make Lechner's sculptures experienceable in the interior. Comparable conditions can only be found at the Tate Modern in London or the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.
Alf Lechner was a virtuoso draftsman throughout his life. He left behind about 4,500 drawings and several graphic portfolios. In order to be able to present his graphic work on the grounds of the sculpture park, a former cowshed and hayloft were transformed into the so-called paper house. Here drawings of different creative phases of the artist are presented in regularly changing exhibitions.